February 2012

Hereby German artist Stephan Hausmeister is challenging Ai Weiwei’s achievement of an unexplained disappearance for 81 days at Beijing airport, performed by the Chinese Grand Master from April 3 to June 22 last year.

Hausmeister declares: I will arrive at Beijing Capital Int. (PEK) airport on Turkish Airline flight TK20 from Istanbul on Sunday, 26 of February 2012 at 15:00 hrs.. Before passing through the arrivals gate, I am happy to answer all questions raised by Chinese authorities regarding my person and intentions as well as inspecting together with them my visa and the contents of my luggage for the purpose of gaining their permission to enter the People’s Republic of China.

Apart from personal belongings, the luggage will contain the following presents for friends and colleagues in China:

Seven Stations of the Cross, artwork consisting of 7 photographic prints (50.8 x 40.6 cm each) for the Gao Brothers,

Facelook, a selection of 100 portrait drawings from my art project for Gao Yuan,

The Chinese People Stand Up, book by Elizabeth Wright [ ISBN 0-563-20762-0, London: BBC Books, 1989. 208 pp. ] for Mr. Ai Weiwei. The book has been self-censored insofar as the “m” word has been re-placed with “June 4 incident”.

A 19th century copper coin from Bavaria for Mr. Kahn Ackermann, former director of the Goethe Institute in Beijing

A green T-shirt with the Chinese character “Fu” and “June 4” painted on it, to be given on loan to any artist who happens to be around at the airport and is willing to act as the leader of the new China International Art Festival until another is willing to take over.



Conditions of the challenge:

1.)
In case I am allowed to enter the country I have lost, the People’s Republic of China wins and Mr. Ai remains the Grand Master.

2.)
In case I disappear for more than 80 days before entering the arrivals hall, the People’s Republic of China has lost and I take over Mr. Ai's title of Grand Master.

3.)
I am willing to negotiate special conditions with the immigration authorities regarding one or the other item in my luggage if necessary.



Intentions of my visit:

I intend to stay until Saturday, March 10 in Beijing to see if I can be of any help in sorting out difficulties and issues surrounding the June 4 China International Art Festival.

My greatest wish since I came to China for the first time in 2005 is to become a visiting lecturer for students at the Central Academy of Fine Arts (CAFA) in Beijing. Maybe something can be arranged in exchange for Mr. Ai Weiwei, who could take up the post offered to him by my old school, the Universität der Künste (UdK) in Berlin.

Admittedly, I am not quite as accomplished an artist as Mr. Ai, but apart from teaching the fine arts of painting and drawing I can also offer lectures on the following subjects:



PoP – Power of Picture:
Edward L. Bernays’ Mass Psychology – Post Iconic Turn Revision

Case Re-opened:
The Theory of Light versus Enlightenment
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe versus Newton & Einstein

Democrazy is Funny !
China on her path from semi-democracy to Sinokratie and why the Oriental mind cannot take Western style democracy serious

Drawing is Thinking
Visualization of Wittgenstein’s logical space in relation to quantum information theory

The Missing Link
De-evolution from spiritual to intelligent life on earth - single cell via Mappa Mundi to the internet (Hermann Hesse’s Steppenwolf)

Spiritual Correctness and Opportunism in Modern Man
Atheism, Buddhism and Christianity as excuse

The Art of Dying
An exercise for the mind as explained in the Tibetan Book of the Dead



Stephan Hausmeister



2012 February 2







Add Stephan Hausmeister as a friend on facebook